“HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR Global Contest” – Official Rules
No purchase required. Any rule contrary to law will not apply.
The organizer is the company Havana Club International S.A. (“HCI”), a duly registered limited company with its registered office at Calle A, n° 309 e/ 13 y 15 Vedado, Plaza, La Habana, Cuba.
HCI has organized a contest called the “Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest” (the “Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest”) that does not involve any obligation to purchase and is subject to the terms and conditions set out below (the “Official Rules”).
The Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest is promoted through advertising on the Havana Club Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/havanaclub) (the “Page”).
The Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest is not sponsored, backed or administrated by Facebook and there is no connection whatsoever between the Contest and Facebook.
The information submitted by participants (the “Participants”) in connection with the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest is submitted to HCI and not Facebook.
The information will be used strictly for the purposes of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest and for any communication relating to the Contest.
The Participants may agree to receive information on Havana Club by checking the corresponding box on the Page.
2. PURPOSE OF THE HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR GLOBAL CONTEST
1) The Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest offers Participants the opportunity to take part in the first phase of selection for the worldwide HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR campaign (the “HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR”).
2) The Havana Club Gap Year offers Participants the opportunity to win a one-year trip around the world and take part in activities in twelve countries allowing the Winner of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR (the “Final Winner”) to experience different lifestyles.
3) The Participant selected in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest (the “Global Final Winner” as defined in Clause 9) will obtain a five-day stay in Havana, Cuba (from April 28, 2013 to May 3, 2013, as stipulated in Clause 10) to take part in the second phase of selection of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR.
4) The second phase of selection of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR will consist of the Global Final Winner competing with the 16 (sixteen) participants selected within the framework of the contests organized on the local HAVANA CLUB Facebook pages in Ireland, Portugal, Malta, Cyprus, Chile, Belgium, Greece, Denmark, Ukraine, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Bulgaria, Estonia, Colombia and Latvia (the “Local Final Winners”). In that connection, the Global Final Winner and the Local Final Winners will have to prepare a report on Havana by recording a self-directed short video (each of them must record their own video), although they may be assisted by someone who lives in Havana. The Global Final Winner and the Local Final Winners will have two days to film and complete their videos. The videos will be submitted to a jury made up of members of HCI. The jury will select the Final Winner from among Global Final Winner and the Local Final Winners based upon the videos submitted by them, in keeping with the criteria set out below (among others, the creativity of the work). The Jury’s selection of the Final Winner will be conclusive and it may not be appealed by the Global Final Winner or the Local Final Winners or any third party. HCI will provide details of the procedure for the second phase of selection of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR to the Global Final Winner and the Local Final Winners by e-mail or telephone and through the Application. HCI may amend these Official Rules without prior notice.
5) The HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR trip will take place between July 2013 and July 2014.
6) The Final Winner will share the daily lives of the local hosts designated by HCI in each of the twelve countries that the Final Winner will visit and will be shown to their favorite places and meet their friends.
7) The Final Winner will have to create a portrait of the twelve countries that he/she will visit within the framework of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR.
Within that context, the Final Winner will describe his/her experience and will prepare, in particular:
- a guide to the high points of the place (e.g. in terms of art or music);
- short interviews of the local hosts and their friends;
- photographs and short videos of the countries;
Those materials will be published on the Application, Youtube and Tumblr, including, inter alia, the respective blogs.
The provisions concerning the organization of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR and the corresponding commitments undertaken by the Final Winner will be set out in the agreement that he/she will sign with HCI (signing of the conditions in a second phase, including availability of the Final Winner from July 2013 to July 2014).
3. TERM OF THE Havana Club Gap Year GLOBAL CONTEST
The Contest will open as of 6:00 p.m. (ECT – European Central Time) on January 10, 2013 and will close as of 6:00 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (the “Term of the Contest”). The official device for calculating the time for the Havana Club Gap Year is the time as shown at: http://24timezones.com/world_directory/paris_local_time.php
4. CONDITIONS FOR PARTICIPATION
The Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest is open to residents of every country, if permitted by local law, who have reached the legally prescribed age for acquisition and consumption of alcoholic beverages in their country of residence as of the date of their participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest.
Residents and citizens of the United States of America cannot participate in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest.
All employees of HCI or its parent company, subsidiaries or other HCI group companies and any other individual or entity involved in the organization of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest likewise cannot participate in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, including, particularly:
• anyone who has been hired or who has supplied services to HCI (including, among others, employees, contractors, directors, executives and interns) and/or to its parent company, subsidiaries or other HCI group companies;
• anyone who has taken part in the preparation, administration, development, management or implementation of the Page (including, among others, web designers and employees and interns of advertising or promotion agencies);
• anyone who has taken part in the administration, development or implementation of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest (including, among others, web designers and employees and interns of advertising or promotion agencies);
• any relatives up to the second degree of kinship or relation of the aforementioned individuals, including, inter alia, spouses, parents, children, siblings and grandparents, as well as step-parents, step-children, step-siblings and step-grandparents and anyone who resides in the same home as any of the aforementioned individuals.
The aforementioned restrictions will apply to the individuals mentioned in Clause 5.7 below who may appear in the Videos.
The Participants will not encourage any of the aforementioned individuals and people who have not reached the legally prescribed age for acquisition and consumption of alcoholic beverages in their country of residence as of the date of their participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest to take part directly or indirectly (e.g. by voting for their Videos as provided in Clause 9 below) in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest or, in general, in the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR.
The Participants authorize HCI to accomplish any necessary verification of the Participant’s identity.
HCI reserves the right to disregard any entry accompanied by an incorrect address or any illegible, incomplete or incorrect entry.
5. CONDItions for participating
1) As a first option, from January 10, 2013 until March 15, 2013, the Participant:
- may enter via their own Facebook account or create a new personal account through the Facebook platform;
- from there, they may enter the HAVANA CLUB Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/havanaclub;
- can then click on the Havana Club Gap Year logo, which will take them to the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest application (the “Application”); and
- enter the main page of the Application.
2) Or, as a second option, from January 10, 2013 until March 15, 2013, the Participant:
- may click on the banner promoting the Havana Club Gap Year included in Facebook or any other digital medium or page, and
- enter the main page of the Application.
3) After choosing one of those two alternatives, where the Participant has entered through their own Facebook account, he/she can check “Like” on the Page to become follower, as indicated by Facebook (a “Follower”), if he/she has not yet become one.
4) The Participant must fill in the form (the “Entry Form”) with their personal data (name, e-mail address and date of birth) (the “Participant’s Data”). The Participant must provide correct information at all times during the entry process. In the event of any change to the Participant’s contact information during the Term of the Contest, the Participant must provide the new information to HCI by means of a message addressed to HCgapyear@havana-club.com.
5) In order to take part in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest the Participant must accept the Official Rules appearing in a pop-up window by checking the corresponding box shown at the bottom of those Rules.
6) To take part, the Participant must create and upload a short video (the “Video”) through the Entry Form, between January 10, 2013 and March 15, 2013. Each Participant can create and upload only one Video. The Video will be accessible through the Video Gallery of the Application (the “Video Gallery”).
7) The Video must include the Participant and may include other adults who are legally able to obtain and consume alcoholic beverages in their country of residence as of the date when they enter the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest answering the following questions:
“What three things would you automatically leave at home if you won the Gap Year trip?
“What three things would you take with you on the Gap Year and why?”
8) The Video must be no shorter than 30 seconds and no longer than 60 seconds.
9) The Participant must use English or Spanish in the Video.
10) HCI reserves the right to disregard any Video from a Participant who attempts to take part as several different Participants. If a Participant has already created and uploaded a Video within the framework of the HAVANA CLUB Gap Year contests organized on local HAVANA CLUB Facebook pages, the Participant may not upload another Video within the framework of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest.
11) Participants may replace their Videos as often as they wish in accordance with the Official Rules. In the event that they do so, they will forfeit all the votes corresponding to the replaced Video. In other words, no Participant may submit more than one Video, but they may replace one Video with another.
HCI reserves the right to disregard the Entry Forms of any Participants whose Videos, among other circumstances:
• encourage the irresponsible consumption of alcoholic beverages, including, without limitation, their consumption by pregnant women and their acquisition and/or consumption by people who have not reached the legal age to do so;
• directly or indirectly disparage in any way the brand image and/or any other image of the Pernod Ricard group and/or any trademark linked to the Pernod Ricard group, such as HAVANA CLUB;
• violate any provision of law or the Official Rules;
• are defamatory, politically inappropriate, rude, incite hatred, are pornographic, insulting, indecent, violate the rights of others or morals or public decency in any other way or may not be legitimately presented by the Participants;
• include files containing any virus, corrupted files and/or any other similar software or program that might interfere with the functioning of other persons’ computers;
• comprise commercial offers or requests for donations;
• contain materials not created in their entirety by the Participants or materials owned by third parties for which consent for use has not been obtained;
• present the Participant as a representative of HCI; or
• present only persons other than the Participant.
Failure to abide by any of the aforementioned conditions will result in the Participant’s immediate disqualification
When the Participant has presented his/her Video, it will be examined by HCI in keeping with the criteria set out above within three working days from the date when it was presented. The Participant will receive an e-mail message at the address stated by the Participant when entering the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest informing of the reasons for rejection of their Video by HCI, if any.
7. PARTICIPANTS’ WARRANTIES
The Participants warrant that the exploitation and use of the Videos and the Participants’ Data will not violate any rights owned by third parties, including any intellectual and/or industrial property rights (e.g. the rights pertaining to music included in the Video) and/or any image rights.
In particular, the Participants warrant that:
• the Videos have been created exclusively by the Participants who have uploaded them;
• the Videos are their own original work;
• they are fully entitled by law to take part in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest and they grant an exclusive license to any intellectual and/or industrial property rights and/or any other rights (such as image rights) in accordance with the provisions of this document; and
• the rights to the Videos have not been assigned or licensed to any third party.
The Participants will indemnify HCI and hold it harmless from any claim arising as a result of any breach of these representations and warranties.
The Participants will indemnify HCI and hold it harmless from any claim, complaint, cost or outlay (including attorneys’ fees, court costs and experts’ fees) relating to any breach of these Official Rules, including the representations and warranties set out herein.
By taking part in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, the Participants undertake to sign and deliver to HCI, at the latter’s request, all such documents as may be needed to justify the rights warranted in this clause. Any failure by the Participants to abide by such a request will result in their immediate exclusion from the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest.
8. PARTICIPANTS’ UNDERTAKINGS
In creating and uploading the Videos, the Participants accept that they will not receive any compensation from HCI for any item whatsoever, including, among others, for the creation and uploading of the Videos or for any use that may be made of the Videos, whether as originally uploaded or as subsequently modified (among other reasons, due to adaptation of the format of the Video for technical motives).
The Participants accept that HCI may exploit, reproduce, distribute, communicate to the public, make available to the public or transform the Videos at its sole discretion as they were originally uploaded or as modified by HCI, along with the Participants’ Data, in any medium and for any purpose relating to HCI or the Pernod Ricard Group, including, without limitation, publication in the Video Gallery or Youtube. In particular:
• HCI reserves the right to exploit the Videos and the Participants’ Data, especially in the Video Gallery;
• the Participants acknowledge that HCI is not under any obligation to use or exploit the Videos or the Participants’ Particulars in any medium;
• given that HCI will not be under any obligation whatsoever, whether express or implicit, to use the Videos or the Participants’ Data in any way, the Participants will not be entitled to any indemnity for damages or any other compensation for their use or non-use by HCI;
• the Participants acknowledge that their image, the images of third parties who may appear in their Video in accordance with the provisions of Clause 5.7 above, the Participants’ Data and their Videos may be associated with the Pernod Ricard group and its trademarks, including the HAVANA CLUB trademarks.
The Participants grant to HCI an exclusive worldwide license for the Videos for a term of five years from the date of their presentation in the Video Gallery for any purpose and via any medium whatsoever in connection with the Havana Club Gap Year and with no notice or remuneration whatsoever, and the Participants undertake to execute such documents as may be necessary to make that license effective.
That exclusive license will include all rights to any uploaded Video, including any Video that the Participants may have replaced from the Video Gallery, among others, rights to use, reproduction, distribution, communication to the public, making available to the public and transformation by HCI (among other reasons, due to adaptation of the format of the Video for technical motives).
To that end, the Participants irrevocably grant exclusive rights to HCI, free of charge, to the Videos for any use whatsoever in relation with the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR, including, without limitation:
a) any type of reproduction or downloading in any of the fields of use and by any method known at present or in future in connection with the Havana Club Gap Year;
b) any use of the Videos in connection with the Havana Club Gap Year in any medium whatsoever, including, without limitation, Internet and plasma screens (i) in the course of the events organized directly or indirectly by HCI, or (ii) in commercial settings and on television.
The Participants acknowledge that HCI will own all the rights to the Videos set out above for a term of five years from the date of their presentation and that neither the Participants nor any third party will possess any rights whatsoever in that regard unless otherwise provided by law.
In that regard, no third party other than HCI will have any entitlement whatsoever in connection with the rights to the Videos that may be used in any medium.
HCI may contact the Participants by e-mail in connection with the Havana Club Gap Year.
9. SELECTION OF THE GLOBAL FINAL WINNER
A. Selection phase
1) The five overall finalists of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest (the “Five Overall Finalists”) will be selected from among the Videos in the Video Gallery that have received the five highest numbers of votes for a Video by other Facebook users during the selection phase, running from 6:00 p.m. (ECT – European Central Time) on January 10, 2013 to 6:00 p.m. (ECT) on March 15, 2013 (the “Selection Phase”). Each Facebook account can vote for as many Videos as the user wishes, although each user could issue only one vote for each Video.
2) Only the highest ratings obtained by the Videos will be taken into account for the purposes of the selection.In the event of a tie between two or more Participants in the top five places in the ranking, the winners will be chosen by lot in a draw on March 18, 2013 carried out by Thomas Froimovici (HCI Digital Manager) before a notary.
3) The Five Overall Finalists will be will be notified by e-mail within 7 (seven) days from the end of the Selection Phase.
1) As of the end of the Selection Phase, from March 18, 2013 to March 31, 2013, the Five Overall Finalists will be interviewed by a jury made up of different local representatives of HCI, the number and identity of whom will be determined in future (the “Jury”).
2) The Jury will select a final global winner from among the Five Overall Finalists (the “Global Final Winner”), based upon the following criteria:
- reasons for taking part in the Havana Club Gap Year,
- outgoing and sociable nature,
- quality of communication and expression,
- command of spoken English.
3) The interview will last approximately one hour.
4) The selection of the Global Final Winner, announced by the Jury at the beginning of May 2013, will be conclusive: neither the Five Overall Finalists nor any third party will be entitled to appeal that selection.
5) His/her Videos will notably be published, among others, in the Application and on the local pages of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR until August 2014.
The Global Final Winner will be awarded a prize (the “Prize”) consisting of a five-day trip for one to Havana, Cuba, from April 28, 2013 to May 3, 2013, to take part in the second phase of selection of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR (the proceeding of the second phase of the selection of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR will be detailed by HCI to the Global Final Winner and the Final Local Winners by email or phone and in the Application, according to that established in Clause 2).
The Prize includes:
All other costs, including insurance, tax and gratuities, along with the documents required for the trip, will be wholly at the expense of the Global Final Winner.
HCI reserves the right to replace the Prize, at its sole and entire discretion and without prior notice, with another prize of equivalent nature and value, whether in cash or otherwise, in the event that any element of the Prize is unavailable for any reason whatsoever.
HCI will contact the Global Final Winner by e-mail to inform them if he/she has obtained the Prize. The Global Final Winner’s name and his/her Video will appear on the page of the Application for eighteen months after his/her name is announced.
The Prize must be accepted as granted and it will not be transferable or convertible into cash, and it may not be sold, traded or assigned.
The Global Final Winner must take such measures as may be necessary to accept the Prize within ten days from the date when he/she is notified by e-mail. Otherwise, he/she will lose the Prize, which HCI may then grant to another winner chosen from among the Five Overall Finalists.
12. REFUND OF PARTICIPATION EXPENSES
HCI will deliver the Official Rules free of charge to anyone requesting them (the “Applicants”) from the address HCgapyear@havana-club.com (limited to one request per person and household (name, surname and address)).
Any application for refund of expenses incurred through participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest must be submitted by e-mail to HCI at the aforementioned address within thirty (30) days from the closing date of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest. Only one refund per person and household (name, surname and address) will be made.
For the purpose of simplifying the refund process, just one overall application should be made by each Applicant, to include all expenses.
Only those applications including the information set out below will we processed:
(1) name of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest;
(2) Page on which the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest was offered;
(3) the Applicant’s full personal data (name, surname and address);
(4) photocopy of the Applicant’s national identity card;
(5) date and time of participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest;
(6) bank statement;
(7) detailed copy of the bill issued by the telecommunications operator through which the Internet connection was established, mentioning the Applicant’s name. The Applicant billed for Internet connection time will obtain the refund of that amount when they have proved that the connection was strictly necessary for participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, at the rate of €0.021/minute in total (twenty-one one thousandths of a euro) [including the credit of indivisible time per minute for the first minute: €0.11 in total (eleven cents) per participant]. Nevertheless, Applicants must bear in mind that access to the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest free of charge or at a fixed rate (e.g. via cable or DSL connection) will not give rise to any refund whatsoever, since (i) subscription to the services of the Internet Service Provider is accomplished in this case by the Applicant for their own general use of the Internet, and (ii) the Applicant’s Internet connection and their participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest did not involve any expense;
The following expenses may likewise be refunded upon express written request in the application for refund:
(1) the cost of the bill issued by the telecommunications operator through which the Internet connection was established if that connection was not free of charge (must be accompanied by proof of payment);
(2) the cost of photocopies and scanning strictly required for submitting the application for refund (at the rate of five cents (€0.05) per photocopy and scan, accompanied by detailed bill);
(3) where the price of the photocopies and scans is higher than five cents (€0.05) in total, the average current rate may be refunded upon express written request with due proof, as properly stated in the application for refund (only the pages and documents strictly required for processing the application for refund will be taken into account).
Where those conditions for refund do not cover all the necessary expenses incurred by the Participant in order to take part in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, HCI will refund the supplementary expenses upon substantiation of those expenses and at the express written request stated in the application for refund.
13. DATA PROTECTION
The personal data that the Participants must provide are obligatory. If the Participants fail to do so, they may be excluded from the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest. HCI will use that data solely for the purposes of management of participation by the Participants in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, management of the winners, grant of the Prize and compliance with legal and statutory obligations and compliance with these Official Rules (particularly Clause 8). The Participants consent to assignment of their data to service providers and subcontractors for the completion of tasks for HCI in connection with the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest. The Participants will be fully responsible for the veracity and accuracy of the information that they submit.
The Participants are entitled to access to their data free of charge for the purposes of consultation or to request HCI to rectify or cancel their data. In the event that any Participant requests the total or partial cancellation of their personal data during the term of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, that Participant will be excluded from that Contest. Likewise, any request for total or partial cancellation of personal data that may render compliance with these Official Rules by the Participant or HCI impossible or materially difficult will likewise result in the exclusion of that Participant and/or loss of the Prize. Any request by Participants concerning their personal data must be submitted to HCgapyear@havana-club.com.
In compliance with the provisions of the Spanish Personal Data Protection Act 15/1999, HCI advises the Participants that the personal data that they submit voluntarily will be entered in a computerized file owned by HCI at the domicile stated in Clause 1 above. HCI undertakes to perform its obligation to keep the personal data secret and its duty to safeguard that personal data and it will take the necessary measures to prevent any alteration, loss or unauthorized processing of or access to that data, in keeping at all times with available technology
The personal data will be stored in the database belonging to HCI only during the promotion of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR and it will be used only for the purposes of the HAVANA CLUB GAP YEAR.
The personal data will not be used for sending commercial information unless the Participants agree to receive information concerning Havana Club and its products, including by electronic means, by checking the corresponding box on the Page.
14. COMPLIANCE WITH THE RULES
By taking part in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, the Participants fully and unconditionally accept these Official Rules and the decisions of HCI, which will be final and binding with regard to all matters relating to the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest. Award of a Prize will be subject to compliance with all the requisites provided for in these Official Rules. The Official Rules will prevail in the event of any discrepancy with the promotional material of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest. HCI will determine at its sole discretion all the information and other restrictions concerning the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest not stated specifically in these Official Rules.
15. GENERAL CONDITIONS
By accepting the Prize, the Global Final Winner agrees that HCI is not liable for any damages that may arise from his/her participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, acceptance and use of prizes and the related travel.
HCI reserves the right to cancel, modify, postpone, extend or shorten, at its sole discretion and with no indemnity obligation whatsoever, all or any part of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest if it fails to work as planned, among others, by reason of infection by computer viruses, programming errors, manipulation, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical flaws or other reasons of a technical or different nature that may interfere with, impede or affect its administration, security, fairness, integrity or correct completion. Any modification of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest will be announced, in particular, on the Page.
HCI will be entitled to modify the Official Rules set out in this document, in particular to comply with new laws and regulations of the countries where the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest is held. Any such modifications will be included in the Official Rules.
In the event that a clause is declared void, that circumstance will not affect the validity of the rest of the Official Rules.
16. RESTRICTIONS ON AND EXEMPTION FROM LIABILITY
HCI will not be liable for the participation or attempted participation by Participants in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest nor for the downloading of information in connection with that participation.
HCI will not be liable for any problems or technical malfunctions that may affect the completion of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, including, among others, the following: hardware or software errors, computer, telephone or cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or other Internet connection problems or other on-line communication problems, Internet service provider, hosting service or other provider errors or limitations, indecipherable, mixed or corrupted data transmissions, e-mail message reception or transmission failures, e-mail transmission loss, delay or interception, total or partial non-accessibility of the Page and/or the Application for any reason, excessive traffic on the Internet or the Page and/or the Application, unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the functioning of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, including, among others, unauthorized manipulation, hacking, theft, virus, software errors or computer worms, or the destruction of any aspect of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest or the loss, count error, addressing error, non-accessibility or unavailability of the accounts used in connection with the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest.
HCI will not be liable for any error or incorrect or inaccurate data relating to the Havana Club Gap Year.
The user will use all media other than the Page at his/her own risk. HCI will not be liable for any injury, property damage or damages of any kind that may be caused to the user’s computer or any other person’s computer through participation in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest.
HCI will not be liable for any attempt by Participants or others to harm or deliberately obstruct the legitimate completion of the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, including, among others, any fraudulent statements that may constitute a civil and criminal offence. In the event of any such attempt, HCI reserves the right to sue such individuals for reparations and indemnity for damages to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution. HCI may at its sole discretion disqualify any individual performing such actions.
Any failure by HCI to demand compliance with these official rules will not constitute a waiver of the provision in question.
No incomplete, false, altered or illegible entry will be admitted.
17. APPLICABLE LAW AND JURISDICTION
By taking part in the Havana Club Gap Year Global Contest, the Participants accept that:
(a) the Official Rules and any dispute or claim that may arise in connection with the Official Rules or with their purpose or execution (including any dispute or claim of a non-contractual nature) will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with Spanish law;
(b) the Spanish courts of law will have exclusive jurisdiction to rule on any dispute or claim that may arise in connection with the Official Rules or with their purpose or execution (including any dispute or claim of a non-contractual nature).
18. REGISTRATION OF THE OFFICIAL RULES
These Official Rules have been placed on deposit at the office of the Notary Jose Blanco Losada, located at 22-24 Calle Jose Ortega y Gasset, in Madrid, on January 9, 2013, with protocol number 27.
What is the Havana Club Gap Year?
The Havana Club Gap Year is a global promotion offering one lucky winner the chance to spend twelve months traveling the world on a unique Gap Year, meeting genuine people in some of the most interesting and exciting locations in the world.
Havana Club is looking for an open-minded and inquisitive person to visit twelve countries in twelve months and live twelve unique life experiences.
They will start their journey in Havana where they will discover the Havana way of life; a life away from the daily strain of studying or work; a life not solely driven by the pursuit of the next pay-cheque or the launch of the latest smartphone.
After discovering this unique way of life, they will embark on a journey around the world visiting like-minded people. They will travel to Barcelona to live with a family during the Festa Major de Grazia, tour with a jazz band across Canada, live in an artist commune in Berlin, and immerse themselves in the nightlife and music scene in Tokyo and much more.
The winner will really get under the skin of each location, spending time with mentors in each location who will introduce them to their way of life, the local people and truly authentic experiences.
In each location they will film and photograph their experiences and broadcast it through a blog that will be available for people around the world to view.
How do you enter the competition?
People can enter the promotion by visiting their local Havana Club Facebook page, from where they will be directed to the Havana Club Gap Year microsite and entry page. To enter people must upload a short (between 30 and 60 seconds) video of themselves answering the following questions:
‘What three things will you definitely leave behind if you won this Gap Year and why?
What three items would you pack in your bag and why?’
They must include their name and where they come from in the video.
The video will then be uploaded in to a gallery on the Facebook page.
How is the winner chosen?
The general public will vote for their favourite videos. The top 5 videos will be put to a panel of judges in the local market who will interview each person via Skype to determine the overall local winner.
The finalist from each country will be sent to Havana for 5 days to take part in the final.
In Havana, each winner will be asked to create a short video that encapsulates the spirit of Havana. The videos will be assessed by a panel of judges who will select the winning video. This will determine who wins the Havana Club Gap Year.
Who are the panel of judges?
The panel of judges who will choose the overall winner in Havana are a combination of people with diverse skill sets and expertise across film, travel and the culture and society of Cuba. The panel includes:
- Cuban film director Juan Carlos Tabio
- Cuban film director Pavel Giroud
- Legendary Cuban bar tender at El Floridita, Alejandro Bolivar
- Content and Social Media Manager at gapyear.com
- Winner of the Best Job in the World and travel expert, Ben Southall
- Communications Director and Creator of Havana Cultura, Francois Renie
When does the competition open and close?
The competition opens on 10th January 2013 and closes on 1st March 2013.
What are the dates of the Havana Club Gap Year trip?
The Havana Club Gap Year will commence in July 2013 and will conclude in June 2014.
Are there any restrictions to entry?
Participants must be of legal drinking age in their country. They must be willing and able to leave work or study for 12 months to go on the Havana Club Gap Year should they win. Participants must provide valid health and safety checks in advance of commencing the trip. Participants must be able to speak English.
What is a ‘Havana’ way of life?
The Havana way of life is a stripped back way of living.
It is not about money or materialism. It is genuine and authentic. It is not about the rat race. It is about a simple, fulfilled, happy life. It is about real people and creating meaningful relationships.
What kind of things will the winner be doing?
The winner will spend 12 months travelling the world.
The schedule will look something like this but may be subject to change and adjustments:
July ‘13 Havana
August ‘13 London
September ‘13 Barcelona
October ‘13 Berlin
November ‘13 Canada
December ‘13 Tokyo
January ‘14 Melbourne
February ‘14 Rio
March ‘14 Chile
April ‘14 Buenos Aires
May ‘14 Paris
June ‘14 Trans-Siberian
What if I am having problems uploading my video?
If you are having any problems entering the Havana Club Gap Year, go to the ‘Contact’ button on the microsite and email the email address provide.
What if I am having trouble voting for a video?
If you are having any problems voting for a Havana Club Gap Year video entry, go to the ‘Contact’ button on the microsite and email the email address provide.
When will I find out if I am in the shortlist for my video?
If you are in the top 5 videos, you will be contacted by a representative from Havana Club by 8th March.
Why has my video been taken down from the website?
Videos that are deemed by Havana Club International to contain inapppropriate content will be removed from the website. See the terms and conditions for more information about inappropriate content.
How can I cancel my video?
Entrants can replace their video with another as many times as they wish within the frame of the Official Rules (see terms and conditions). If you do this, you will lose all the votes related to the video that you replace. You can also delete a video altogether whenever you like. Again, you will lose all votes related to the video and it will be removed from the website.